Building a life with someone who is French and who recognizes the horror in colonization, its hard to come up with a good explanation as to why as a country we celebrate Thanksgiving. I won't go into the specifics of what Thanksgiving truly represents for Native Americans, but I will try to find the good in it in that it allows us a time to celebrate gratitude surrounded by friends and loved ones.
While I did not get everything I wanted this year, as I look back I still have so much to be thankful for. I love writing this down and visualizing this for myself. If you are reading this, please take some time silently or out loud to show gratitude for the things you have as it helps to decrease the focus on the things that may not have worked out as you wanted.
1. I am thankful that I've booked my honeymoon! I will be traveling to Sri Lanka and the Maldives in March 2017 and bae is happy the trip came in under budget!
2. I am thankful I have spent this year learning more about animal rescue and contributing when I can. I have made financial donations to rescue organizations despite being on a tight budget and I have fostered two amazing dogs - Price and Tosha - who are now living their best lives with amazing families. In this regard, I have stopped eating meat and pork and will continue to make more conscious decisions about what I put in my body.
3. I am thankful for friends that treat me like family and welcome me freely to celebrate holidays with them as I don't have any close family except for my mother. I am always amazed at what friends are willing to do for me from flying from CA to NY to drive me to Michigan to friends that drop work and fly from CA to NY to comfort me (I have too many friends on the wrong coast).
4. I am thankful for the health of my furbabies Snoopy and Gia despite some scary vet visits, so far there is nothing wrong with them that medicine is not able to cure in their increasing age.
5. I am thankful I traveled a bit this year seeing Costa Rica for the first time, France again and numerous domestic trips especially Charleston and Washington, DC which allowed me to learn more about the slave trade and what people before me have overcome.
6. I am thankful that I have given away seven duffle bags of clothes this year and earned thousands selling closet overflow online allowing me the space to acquire some of my most favorite pieces including my first Celine bag and my first Cushnie et Ochs dress.
7. I am thankful I have gotten closer to God finding time to pray almost daily and being part of a church community that I look forward to every Sunday.
8. Lastly, I am thankful that I have had a great man by my side. Our relationship isn't perfect but every day I wake up amazed and lucky that I have him by my side.
Give thanks for the big and small in your life today. Happy Thanksgiving!