As fall creeps up on us, its the time people start thinking about what new items they want to add to their closet. For some its the perfect Chelsea Boot and for others the shearling to slay bitches this winter. Before shopping, a true lover of fashion would be wise to spend some time thinking about the production and sourcing of their next coveted piece. A bit of my heart shattered after watching The True Cost. I love clothes but I didn't love the thought of knowing what someone else went through for me to have this seasons "must have" hanging in my bedroom turned closet. As I spent some time working in fashion, I was aware of some of these issues but this movie revealed more than even I imagined.
I won't detail the atrocities discussed in the film because I encourage you to watch, but I will share that most of your favorite fast fashion companies aren't the most responsible when it comes to sourcing and manufacturing. I am not perfect by any means and since watching this film last year have purchased only 3 items from Zara. Not my desired zero but definitely not as high as 30 which is an improvement from past years. Instead of trying to be perfect, I think its better to share some information and some beautiful products from fashion brands really making their best effort to ensure their goods are ethical from conception to closet. Here are a few of my favorites.
1. The Arrivals Rainier Leather Moto - As an owner of this jacket, I promise everyone will need to know where you got it.
2. Stella Jean Pompom Sweater - the pom pom trend will continue into fall.
3. Everlane Oversized Shirt Dress - Rihanna has made not wearing pants a new fall trend.
4. Brother Vellies Blackberry Palma Bag - The perfect crossbody for fall with a lux touch of shearling.
5.Stella McCartney Gold Elyse Shoes - There is no place like home and your feet won't stop clicking in these.
6. Cuyana Wool Belted Vest - This gilet works well over business attire as well as jeans and tee-shirt for windier weather this fall.
P.S. Above I am wearing my made in LA James Perse tank dress made famous by Kim Kardashian. Her look is included in the gallery.